CAPA VTF Program | VTF Methodology
| Types of Test Fits (full
The CAPA Vehicle Test Fit
The CAPA Vehicle Test Fit Program (VTF) was initiated
in March 1999 to further enhance the CAPA program and compensate
for the variability in the quality of car company parts. In addition
to the extensive material and appearance requirements, CAPA believes
that it is vital that the part properly fit an undamaged vehicle.
The best way to verify proper fit is through a controlled vehicle test fit. A vehicle test fit center was set up at CAPA’s independent Validator. Experienced collision repair professionals are on hand to assist in the testing. The process includes a complete comparison
of the gap, flush, holes, bracketry, ease of installation, surface
conditions and other factors.
CAPA's VTF Methodology
The Vehicle Test Fit is a vital component
in the CAPA Quality Certification Program. CAPA conducts a variety
of vehicle part test fits for different purposes. While there are
variations in the procedures used for each fit, the following provides
a general overview of how the test fits are conducted:
- An undamaged vehicle is located and transported to the
- Detailed measurements are taken to insure the vehicle
meets its own manufacturer specifications.
- A car company service part is acquired.
- CAPA certified parts are acquired from the market, or CAPA candidate parts are submitted by the manufacturer.
- Each part is installed on the vehicle and carefully measured.
- A comparative analysis is performed on gap and flush measurements,
holes, bodylines, attachment points and ease of mounting.
- If any non-conformance between the certified part or part
applying for certification and the service parts is determined,
the Manufacturer is issued a corrective action request [CAR].
(In some cases, the part lot will be decertified).
- Once the VTF is completed, a full report with digital photographs is provided to the
manufacturer via a secure website.
Types of CAPA Vehicle Test
For more details on the different types
of test fits in the CAPA program, click on the name.
VTF A - Product Development Vehicle Test Fit
VTF B - New Part Approval Vehicle Test Fit
COM VTF - Complaint
Vehicle Test Fit
MM VTF - Marketplace Monitoring Vehicle Test Fit
GEN VTF - General Vehicle Test Fit
DI VTF - Dimensional Inspection Vehicle Test Fit
List of Descriptions